Faculty of Geography in the University of Bucharest has an old tradition, since 1900. Between 1909 and 1910, Professor Simion Mehedinti set up the seminar of Geography. In 1927 there is the Department of General Physic Geography, in 1948 The Faculty of History-Geography, 1949 – 1950 the Faculty of Geology-Geography, 1986 the Faculty of Geology-Geography-Biology, students preparation being made in the direction of geography a foreign language.
Since 1990, the institution has been named Faculty of Geography. The faculty prepares over 2000 students, masters students, PhD students and has a collective of 70 Holder professors. Publishing activity is notable; courses in every domain are being published. Scientific research takes place in departments and research centers, the results being valued in publications in the country and abroad. The faculty is in collaboration relationships with faculties in France, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Italy.